College of Performing and Visual Arts

     The College of Performing and Visual Arts started out in 1912 as the Music Department of the College of Arts and Sciences. Since the beginning, however, the inspiration to create an independent college was already there, even as far back as 1906 when Dr. Walter O. MacIntire organized the Silliman Band. At that time, Silliman founder and first president Dr. David S. Hibbard already spoke of a vision to establish a music school which he hoped would be established sometime in the second quarter of the Silliman University's existence. This vision was finally fulfilled upon the arrival of American missionary Geraldine Kate who be came the founding school director and first voice teacher of the Silliman Conservatory of Music which was for mally opened in 1934. It existed as such for seven years until it became known as the School of Music in 1941. With firm foundations in both music and dance, the school became the University’s small wonder. It became the live force of culture in Southern Philippines, attracting students from much of Mindanao and the Visayas. With the addition of the Fine Arts Department of the school of Music became the School of Music and Fine Arts in 1969. Eventually, the School of Music and Fine Arts became the College of Performing Arts which officially opened with the college status in June 2001.

History

The College of Performing Arts started out in 1912 as the Music Department of the College of Arts and Sciences. Since the beginning, however, the inspiration to create an independent college was already there, even as far back as 1906 when Dr. Walter o. Macintyre organized the Silliman Band. At that time, Silliman founder and first president Dr. David S. Hibbard already spoke of a vision to establish a music school which he hoped would be established sometime in the second quarter of Silliman University's existence.

This vision was finally fulfilled upon the arrival of American missionary Geraldine Kate who became the founding school director and first voice teacher of Silliman Conservatory of Music which was formally opened in 1934. It existed as such for seven years ntil it became known as the School of Music in 1941.

With firm foundations in both music and dance, the school became the University's small wonder. It became the live force of culture in Southern Philippines, attracting students from much of Mindanao and the Visayas. With the addition of the Fine Arts Department of the School of Music became the School of Music and Fine Arts in 1969. Eventually, the School of Music and Fine Arts became the College of Performing Arts which officially opened with the college status in June 2001.