College of Education
The College of Education, is duly accredited by the Philippine Association of Accredited Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). It seeks to provide the integration of the general education curriculum and the professional education of teachers in the secondary, elementary and early childhood levels. It aims to develop teachers with competencies in a chosen discipline - managing teachinglearning processes, leading and facilitating groups and organizations imbued with responsibility and accountability, citizenship and service, and commitment to Christian faith and democratic living and to provide, maintain, update relevant programs for related occupations (librarians, dieticians, guidance, counseling) responsive to the emerging needs and demands of educational and other related institutions. To achieve the goals and objectives of the teacher education program, the College provides well-equipped laboratory schools and other facilities for the major fields in cooperation with the various departments of Silliman University. It has a highly qualified faculty with graduate degrees earned here and abroad.
The College of Education seeks to meet the needs of the following groups of students: those preparing to teach in the early childhood, element ary, and secondary schools and colleges; those preparing for educational work in the trades and industries and in other related fields; those whose major interests are in other fields but who desire courses in education; and graduate students preparing for teaching, guidance counseling and supervisory or administrative positions.
The first six graduates with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education from Silliman Institute were granted their diplomas in 1924. From then on, the Teacher Education Program grew and developed. What started as a department became the College of Education in 1935 on the foundation laid down 26 years earlier by Dr. Clyde Heflin, its first dean. At its founding, it was the largest unit in the University and remained so until 1951. The Education Building, later named Heflin Hall in honor of its first dean, was the first addition to the academic area under the new campus development plan after the end of the Japanese Occupation. The building was completed in 1951.
Meanwhile, due to the ebb and flow of enrollment, the College was re-organized into a division in 1956. In December 1963, its status as a college was again officially restored. In the same year, a three-story science complex connected the Science Building to Heflin Hall's west end. The College of Education was also moved to Katipunan Hall, formerly the Mission Hospital, where it is until today.The founders of this institution, Dr. and Mrs. D. S. Hibbard believe in Home-Making and Family Life Education. For, every child dealt with by them, prankster or not, was made to feel that in their home there was a cozy place, a pair of sympathetic ears that could listen to one's woes and above all a heart that could understand. There was even a spare cup of ice cream if one came at the right time. With forerunners such as Dr. & Mrs. Hibbard it was relatively easy for Silliman Institute to make it's school program answer the needs of the time. When the public schools started offering home economics subjects in the intermediate level, Silliman was just as ready. The development of the secondary level followed. A nipa and bamboo building behind Oriental Hall provided the space needed for the home economic activities of both levels by the early thirties. Modest as these beginnings were, the efforts to move forward were steady so that in 1938 Silliman was able to turn out its first B.S.E. (H.E.) graduates.The home of the Department of Physical Education and Athletics is the SU Gymnasium. Completed in 1951, the dressing and shower rooms have recently been renovated in anticipation of the various sports meets scheduled to be hosted by the Gym. It also houses the offices of the faculty and staff of the PE Department. PE classes are mostly held at the gym from 7 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 5 pm.