Originally named Center for Women's Studies and Development (CWSD), the Silliman University Center for Gender and Development Studies is the first academe-based women's studies center in the Philippines established in 1981.
To be at the forefront in the promotion of gender-fair education and a sustainable future through gender mainstreaming in Negros Oriental and beyond
Provision of services in the promotion of gender-fair education and gender integration in public policy for implementation in academic and non-academic organizations and institutions in Negros Oriental and beyond
- To raise the level of consciousness of the academic and greater community through the inclusion of gender issues in the curriculum;
- To engage in research and undertake projects for the advancement of gender issues;
- To conduct outreach programs, activities, and services in the community to address gender issues;
- To provide a pool of resource persons and a reading resource for the university and the community; and
- To collaborate with local government units, non-government organizations, people's organizations and other agencies for the promotion of best practices in gender empowerment.
Current Activities of the Center
?Collection of feature films, documentaries and clips on gender for use by anyone in the University and the public-at-large
?Coming up with books written in the Philippine languages for use in the elementary schools that are gender sensitive
?Gender-awareness raising in elementary and high schools in the locality through consultancy, talks, and service-learning
?Active collaboration with LGUs to make their own Gender and Development Program, which had been mandated by the national government, active and effective
?Formulate research proposal which are inter-disciplinary on teen-age sexuality
?Reactivate the involvement of faculty associates asap since this was one of the strengths of the Center some years back (individual competence of faculty associates; cross disciplinal)
?Invite experts and fellows to the Center for linkages and collaborative studies