The Claire Isabel McGill Luce Auditorium, the largest fully-functioning theater outside of Metro Manila, was built in 1973 and completed in 1975 at a cost of P4.4 million from funds provided mainly by the Henry Luce Foundation, Inc. of New York. Counterpart funding was raised by Silliman University through its alumni, faculty, staff, student body, business community, and from friends here in the Philippines and abroad. The balance was donated by the United Presbyterian Commissions, with significant help from the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia based in New York City. The Luce Auditorium was formally inaugurated on the 6th day of October, 1974 with ceremonies dedicating the facility to the memory of Claire Isabel McGill Luce (1923-1971), wife of Henry Luce III, President of the Henry Luce Foundation, Inc. Silliman University's vision for the Luce is for this world-class facility to continue serving the academic community and the country in the best possible way. In 2008, the Luce Foundation provided additional funds to refurbish the Auditorium, updating its facilities to meet the strictest standards in theater. Work on the premises was completed in July 2008. The University works to maintain and preserve the Luce Auditorium as a center for Culture and Arts in the Central Visayas region, and to continuously cultivate and promote the passion of theatre, music, dance, and other forms of art expression among the students of the university as well as the larger community.